User Tag List

Thread: Astaxanthin - OTC 5α-reductase Inhibitor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Astaxanthin - OTC 5α-reductase Inhibitor

I was initially reading some things on ALPHASTATŪ when I noticed that the AI aspect of the product is astaxanthin. It's difficult to say however since Alphastat is a proprietary blend and I cannot even find a lot of info on it. Regardless a study linked below showed its use effectively increasing T, decreasing DHT, and at high enough doses (2000mg/day) significantly reducing ES.

After looking at alphastat a bit it seems it contains the algae extract Haematococcus. Seems as though there is some scientific support showing it can effectively reduce DHT levels:

Method of inhibiting 5&#x0b31-reductase with astaxanthin - US Patent 6277417

As explained
    more fully below, the present invention comprises the discovery that when
    tested in a 5α-reductase in vitro assay with a pre-digestion model,
    Haematococcus pluvialis algae meal containing the carotenoid astaxanthin
    demonstrated 98% inhibition of 5α-reductase at a concentration of
    300 μg/mL.
    Any thoughts on this as a supplement for use on cycle or in post cycle therapy?

Astaxanthin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://www.triarco.com/industrymanuf..._alphastat.pdf
    Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Abstract | An open label, dose response study to determine the effect of a dietary supplement on dihydrotestosterone, testosterone and estradiol levels in healthy males
    Astaxanthin - A Natural Antioxidant | Haematococcus Pluvialis - Algatech

Image Map

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've taken it last year, but not as part of a cycle or post cycle therapy. It was no holy grail.

But it seems worth it to add to your cycle/post cycle therapy if your being meticulous.
    In the worst case, you'll only be benefiting from it's powerful anti-oxidant properties.
    I might pick some up again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bitterplacebo View Post
    I've taken it last year, but not as part of a cycle or post cycle therapy. It was no holy grail.

But it seems worth it to add to your cycle/post cycle therapy if your being meticulous.
    In the worst case, you'll only be benefiting from it's powerful anti-oxidant properties.
    I might pick some up again.
    What dose and brand?

No holy grail? :(

Image Map

Columbus, OH / Rochester, NY / Baltimore, Md / Others
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think an answer is as clear as you might think.

We probably should talk about some other things regarding 5-alpha-reductase inhibition.

5-alpha reductase inhibitors appear to be very safe and well-tolerated. Side effects found in the first year of use included:

1. Decreased sex drive.
    2. Increased ejaculatory dysfunction.
    3. Difficulty getting an erection.

Hmmmm, I think these are already issues for many in post-cycle regimens, no?

However, one large study reported that after 1 year of treatment, finasteride resulted in the same level of decreased sex drive and inability to get an erection as a placebo. The risk for ejaculatory dysfunction was still increased with the use of finasteride. Whether fina is comparable to astaxanthin is certainly debatable though and I am unconvinced of its relative oral bioavailability considering the studies we are using to approximate its use - BUT, with some sort of lipid source, I may be more encouraged to concur.

Initial studies on dutasteride report side effects of erection problems, decreased sex drive, breast tenderness and enlargement (rare), and ejaculation disorders.

Still, some other stuff to think About...5-alpha reductase inhibitors reduce the size of the prostate. However, since a reduction in size does not always bring about symptom relief, these medications will not give satisfactory results in every case. When you stop taking the medication, symptoms usually return.

5-alpha reductase inhibitors lower prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels. This is an issue in many ways and was also discussed years ago with another carotenoid - lutein if you recall. Because PSA levels are used to detect early-stage prostate cancer, men interested in taking a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor might consider the following:

Most experts suggest that men be checked for the presence of prostate cancer (using the PSA test and a digital rectal exam) before taking 5-alpha reductase inhibitors.
    Follow-up PSA levels that have not decreased by approximately 50% after 6 months of taking a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor may indicate a need for further testing for prostate cancer.

PSA levels above 2 ng/mL (nanograms per milliliter) during 5-alpha reductase inhibitor treatment may indicate a need for further testing for prostate cancer.

5-alpha reductase inhibitors may be less effective than alpha-blockers in relieving symptoms anyway - so you may want to consider this if it comes down to a symptomatology issue.

5-alpha reductase inhibitors are not recommended for treatment of BPH symptoms in men without an enlarged prostate, which is the issue with lutein and astaxanthin in that it can cause false negative elevations and mask other more serious issues.

Also worth considering, the medications in this class must be taken for the rest of your life to prevent the symptoms from returning. One could assume that similar consideration is given with OTC supplements if they are to merit any similar effect.

This medication should not be used by men who plan to father a child because of the small chance that the medication or supplements could cause a birth defect.

Now, couple all of this information I provided here with what I have offered in the past about the predominance of prostate symptomatology being more attributable to estrogen increases rather than increases in DHT and I am going to stick with my recommendations of worrying about estrogen control FIRST at present time; subsequent modulation of DHT once evaluation by a select healthcare individual may be appropriate, but far too many are not well-versed in this area - EVEN endocrinologists by the way which is unfortunate, I know.

D_
    Last edited by dinoiii; 08-30-2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Typed "increased" and meant "decreased" for #1 of 1st year sides. D_
    Dana Houser, MD, MHSA, CISSN

Professional Associations: AACE, TES, ADA, ACP, ATA, PS, TOS, NLA, ASBMR, SHM, IHS, HPTHA, NSCA, ISSN

askdinoiii@hotmail.com
    The Clinical Underground Official Newsletter (Volume I, Issues I & II now available) ... send "subscribe" email to the address above.

Disclaimer: Despite my being a physician, the information provided in my posts is intended for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY and to stimulate increased rapport between physician and patient. It is asked that you embark on advice provided solely by your EXAMINING physician.

Please do NOT email, PM for scripts or referral.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    5-alpha reductase inhibitors appear to be very safe and well-tolerated. Side effects found in the first year of use included:

1. Increased sex drive.
    2. Increased ejaculatory dysfunction.
    3. Difficulty getting an erection.
    Increased magnitude in the negative direction, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    What dose and brand?

No holy grail? :(
    Deva Nutrition, 4mg/day

I did wash it down with dihydrogen monoxide taken from my holy grail, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bitterplacebo View Post
    Increased magnitude in the negative direction, right?
    Woops, I meant to put decreased sex drive, I was on at the hospital overnight and typed it inappropriately. I am surprised I could actually type at all to be honest as I was up all night (yeah, no sleep - don't try that at home; but I am spending a month in the ICU).

D_

Professional Associations: AACE, TES, ADA, ACP, ATA, PS, TOS, NLA, ASBMR, SHM, IHS, HPTHA, NSCA, ISSN

askdinoiii@hotmail.com
    The Clinical Underground Official Newsletter (Volume I, Issues I & II now available) ... send "subscribe" email to the address above.

Disclaimer: Despite my being a physician, the information provided in my posts is intended for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY and to stimulate increased rapport between physician and patient. It is asked that you embark on advice provided solely by your EXAMINING physician.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixed, thanks.

D_

askdinoiii@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats perfectly understandable D_. Did you take a look at that ALPHASTATŪ study (funding is probably an issue on that one)? It did show a significant decrease in estrogen with the use of 2000mg oral ALPHASTATŪ/day. Thoughts on that?

Also any idea what is in ALPHASTATŪ other then astaxanthing that would be leading the decreased E, increased T?

Image Map

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Thats perfectly understandable D_. Did you take a look at that ALPHASTATŪ study (funding is probably an issue on that one)? It did show a significant decrease in estrogen with the use of 2000mg oral ALPHASTATŪ/day. Thoughts on that?

Also any idea what is in ALPHASTATŪ other then astaxanthing that would be leading the decreased E, increased T?
    What's intriguing is that the results indicate that the DHT levels creep back to normal between month's 1 and 3. It also suggests that PSA levels creep in the same direction, suggesting the effects on DHT and 5AR are likely short-lived at best, if that is the appropriate mechanism at all - as you noted with the decrease in Estrogen, which doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense through 5AR inhibition proposal.

D_

askdinoiii@hotmail.com

LinkBacks (?)