User Tag List

Thread: Dave Palumbo Contest/Cut Diet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dave Palumbo Contest/Cut Diet

The premise of the diet is high protein (about 1- 1 1/2 gram per pound), moderate fat (about 1/2 g per lb) and low low carbs (no direct sources of carbs). During this diet, the brain goes into ketosis (it uses ketone bodies for energy-- fats) and thus the energy requirements by the body can almost all be supplied by fats (which you'll be taking in plenty of). The only activity that uses carbs will be the weight workout which may use 40grams per workout. You will get these 40g indirectly through the foods you'll be eating. As a backup, the cheat meal you'll be having once per week will provide a storehouse of glycogen (glucose) in case of emergency. So, you see, very little gluconeogenesis in the liver will be occurring. If we keep cortisol low (by
    restricting STIMULANTS) we'll ensure that muscle is spared!

HAVE YOUR CHEAT MEAL ON THE SAME DAY EVERY WEEK, last meal of the
    day so you dont cheat again.

Fiber helps burn fat! Everyone should take fiber 2x per day. Fiber actually helps increase the absorption of calcium.
    When following my diet plan (which includes getting your brain into ketosis), there can be NO starchy carbs eaten!

For a 200lb man:

MEAL #1
    5 whole eggs (make sure to buy OMEGA-3 EGGS from the supermarket. They contain virtually NO saturated fat and tons of good OMEGA-3 fats); add another 4 egg whites to this (they don?t need to be the Omega-3 ones; you can use liquid egg whites)

MEAL #2
    SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoon of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar)

MEAL #3
    "Lean Protein Meal": 8oz chicken with 1/2-cup cashew nuts (almonds, or walnuts)

MEAL #4
    SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoons of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar added)

MEAL #5
    "Fatty Protein Meal": 8oz Salmon, Swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia nut oil and vinegar

MEAL #6
    SHAKE: 50g Whey with 1 ? tablespoon all natural peanut butter or 4 whole (Omega-3) eggs and 4 extra whites

For a 250lb+ man:
    Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
    Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
    Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter
    Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
    Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
    Meal 6 6 whole eggs

Remember, it takes 3-4 days to get into a strong ketosis where your brain is using ketone bodies (fats), instead of carbs, for energy. Be patient.

Many times I'll switch to an alternatiing diet where one day it will be protein/fat......then another protein/vegetables (very little fat). The great thing about the body and fat is that ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS can be stored in the muscle for several days, up to 2 weeks......therefore, once an adequate storehouse of Essential Fats are built up, the body can be "tortured" a little and it still won't give up muscle (that's assuming you're still taking in adequate protein. Protein can't be stored).

1oz almonds equals 6g carbs (2 of those grams are fiber) and 2oz equals 12g of carbs.

With the beef meal (any fatty protein meal), you should have the green salad with 1 tablespoon of Olive or Mac oil INSTEAD of the nuts. Only eat the nuts with the LEAN PROTEIN MEAL (chicken, turkey, lean fish)

The best fat sources come from the essential fatty acids-- Omega-6 and Omega-3's. Most of us get plenty of Omega-6s from cooking oils, ect..........however the Omega-3's are harder to get. I recommend WHOLE OMEGA-3 EGGS, FaTTY FISHS like SALMON and SWORDFISH and TUNA and MACKEREL, ALMONDS and WALNUTS have some OMEGA-3's (as well as OMEGA-6s). ANother great fat source is MONOUNSATURATES such as EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL and MACADAMIA NUT OIL.....they aren't essential but they are great for the metabolism (great source of energy) and they are extremely good for your heart.

You're not getting any indirect sources of carbs (just from the 1 spoonful of PB.... you may want to have at least one 1/3cup nuts meal. Remember, Olive or Macadamia nut oil is predominantly a MONOUNSATURATED FAT (good for the heart, but not essential)........ the nuts, and fish oil have the essential fats in them. Also, with regard to FLAX SEED OIL, the OMEGA-3 Fatty Acids found in them (alpha-linolenic acid) has a very poor conversion to DHA and EPA (Essential Omega-3 intermediates) in the HUMAN........therefore, you're much better off taking in FISH OILS (that already contain DHA/EPA) than FLAX SEED OIL.

Once fat loss slows, I always increase cardio first, then I increase the amount of fat burners (clen, cytomel, lipolyze).........After those other methods are exhausted, only then, do I play with the diet.

Always eat BEFORE lifting........never BETWEEN lifting and cardio.
    Artificial Sweetners:
    The artificial sweetener itself (eg. aspartame, sucralose) wont cause a problem. It's what some companies complex it with. For example, EQUAL and SPLENDA combine their aspartame and sucrolose with 1g of maltodextrin........whereas, in diet drinks, they don't do that. So, diet drinks are okay, SPLENDA and EQUAL must be used in moderation (STEVIA BALANCE is fine though since they use inulin fiber instead of maltodextrin

Forget using:
    -MCT's are a waste when you're dieting. If you're gonna use FATS for an energy source, they might as well serve a function in the body. MCTs are useless. They can only serve as a source of energy!
    -Arginine is not going to do anything. It will DO something; just not dramatic.

Cardio:
    CARDIO should be performed at a low intensity (under 120bpm heartrate). This will ensure that you use FAT as a fuelsource since as your heartrate increase, carbohydrates begin to become the preferred fuel of choice for the body. When on a low carb diet, you're body will break down muscle and turn that into carbs. Remember, Fat CANNOT be changed into carbs. Therefore, for bodybuilding, the rule of cardio should be LONG DURATION, LOW INTENSITY

never do less than 20 min per session

The BOTTOM LINE is that low intensity cardio (while you might need more of it) ensures that fat is utilized and muscle is spared (especially while on my high protein/moderate fat/low carb diety).

Do you feel the treadmill is better for cardio, or is the bike(stationary or recumbent) just as good? As long as the intensity is LOW, it doesn't matter which piece of equipment you use

Q&A:
    Q: Is gluconeogenesis inevitable in your diet?
    Dave Palumbo: NO

Q: If so do I need to consume more than 1.5 grams of protein per lb of LBM so as not to lose muscle?
    Dave Palumbo: The fat spares the protein....when the brain is in ketosis, the carbohydrate requirements are very very low.

Q: How much (percentage) of my protein intake would be turned into glucose (gluconeogenesis)?
    Dave Palumbo: Very little (maybe 10%)

Q: What do you think of submersion in cold water as a means of burning bodyfat (thermogenesis)?
    Dave Palumbo: HOCUS POKUS!

Q: How about drinking lots of cold water (I think this was even suggested by Elligton Darden) to help lose bodyfat?
    Dave Palumbo: RIDICULOUS

Q: Do you think drinking lots of Green Tea is beneficial to fat loss?
    Dave Palumbo: Somewhat helpful.

Q: How much is the ideal dosage of Omega 3 for a 220 lb. individual ?
    Dave Palumbo: Try to take in about 9g per day

Q: How many Tbs of peanut butter could I have instead of 1/2 cup of cashewnuts?
    Dave Palumbo: 2 tablespoons, two tablespoons of Peanut Butter contains 190 calories and 16 grams of fat (so 1.5 tablespoon equals about 12 grams fat) ...whereas......... 2oz (1/3 cup) almonds (about 40 almonds) = 12g fat

Q: I want to add that if I cant find the omega eggs here locally. Can I use international egg whites and just take an omega supplement?
    Dave Palumbo: You can get away with 5 whole eggs (regular ones) once a day........not a big deal. You'll be burning up all that fat anyway.

Q: Whats the max cups # of coffee ( no sugar ) can consume on Dave's diet ?
    Dave Palumbo: Try to limit to 2 cups per day.......I realize that towards the end of the diet you may need more to help you get through the day.

Q: If you cook tilapia in macadamon nut oil?do you coun't the oil as your fat for that meal! Depends how much you use.
    Dave Palumbo: If you just grease the pan with it, no!

Q: what is the protein,carb and fat ratio for offseason
    Dave Palumbo: 50% Protein, 25% fat, 25% carbs

Q: and the ratio for contest prep.
    Dave Palumbo:60% protein, 30% fat, 10% carbs

Tons more info:

THE PALUMBO DIET - talk about it... - Muscular Development Forums

Outline of Dave Palumbo's Diet For Cutting - Page 9 - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Image Map

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, and the protein requirements, well if there is ever a true establishment of a "proper" amount this may be good and may be bad. There are studies back and forth as far as too much protein and not enough protein. I think carbs are under and overrated, I think insulin modulation should be the main focus both off season and for contest prep. I think the diet will work, most diets that are planned properly DO actually do something, but is it the best or better way, well find the one that works for you.

This diet doesn't seem to be the best bet for a "natural" competitor, but for someone intaking certain chemical enhancers and the like, I would say it would work.

The whole cardio thing should more than likely just be dumped, esp. during a low-carb diet or extreme hypocaloric diets in general.
    Lurking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the helpful info

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B-natural View Post
    Interesting, and the protein requirements, well if there is ever a true establishment of a "proper" amount this may be good and may be bad. There are studies back and forth as far as too much protein and not enough protein. I think carbs are under and overrated, I think insulin modulation should be the main focus both off season and for contest prep. I think the diet will work, most diets that are planned properly DO actually do something, but is it the best or better way, well find the one that works for you.

This diet doesn't seem to be the best bet for a "natural" competitor, but for someone intaking certain chemical enhancers and the like, I would say it would work.

The whole cardio thing should more than likely just be dumped, esp. during a low-carb diet or extreme hypocaloric diets in general.
    I am actually implementing this diet beginning today. I am going to begin C Thib's lactic acid training next week and I may have to revert back to a TKD type diet because of its energy expenditures.

I was doing a TKD style diet for almost 12 weeks but I stalled out a couple weeks ago and almost reversed course a little bit. I figure this is one last shot I can try to cut down with before beginning a bulk the end of this month.

I'm curious B-Nat how do you achieve the following:

I think insulin modulation should be the main focus both off season and for contest prep.

Image Map

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    I figure this is one last shot I can try to cut down with before beginning a bulk the end of this month.
    :
    Agreed brother, I begin sept. 1st. woohoo! good luck man. My dieting has helped a great deal, but if your endo/meso like me...dont do zero carbs. I lost a lot. But Im stillsatisfied. So, i'll survive. What is your bulking going to look like? Diet? Sups? Routine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheeBC View Post
    Agreed brother, I begin sept. 1st. woohoo! good luck man. My dieting has helped a great deal, but if your endo/meso like me...dont do zero carbs. I lost a lot. But Im stillsatisfied. So, i'll survive. What is your bulking going to look like? Diet? Sups? Routine?
    I really have no clue what my phenotype is, early on I was confident it was ecto'ish however it seems more meso now. Hard to say really. When you did the diet were you natty the whole time? I will have assistance so I'm confident that will help retain LBM.

In regards to the bulking diet I am not quite sure yet. Likely will train DC, or check out Dinoiii's Lean Bulk routine b/c it seems to require more activity then DC which I like.

What is your plan for the bulk?

Image Map

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like a lot of palumbos suggestions but I find I really cant build mass at all without carbs cause my body just ends up eating a lot of muscle. He says that you can build mass without them but Other than that part I agree with most of what he says

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The zero carb thing...was absolute shit for me. I lost a lot. Next time, Im going to do a split of 33/33/33 macro's. I feel that moderate carbs gave me a sense of well being and a feeling of not restricting myself too much, and making the diet more at ease. Also, I am sure I will retain more mass next time around.

Travis - I used Epi 6 weeks. I can say...I am smaller, my mid section and love handles sucked up pretty well. Infact, I was stoked really. Let me get a picture. Let me remind you, I lost about 20+ lbs which is great, but sucked when I saw my #'s drop. Live and learn, I'm on a mission to figure out what works for me and not what works for everyone else.

My bulk plan is
    12 weeks
    Test E - 500mg / wk
    Mdrol week 1-3
    I'm contemplating on Epi for 4-6 weeks starting week 8 - 14

My diet...
    will be kept clean as possible, however, I will run into situations where fast food will be the only option.
    I am a walking nutrition fact for fast food. I can eat healthy almost anywhere, or close to it. Taco Bell Fresco....Carls - Low Carb chicken BBQ sandwich, McD's Premium Chicken Club/Class Grilled.

anyways.
    about 400/400/120 P/C/F

Routine, Im not sure still. Im doing 4 sets w/ 10-12 reps right now and so far, its not to drastic, the weights not heavy as I could go, but I definitely push myself over the edge still. I'll take a look at dionii

My girl is taking off to UCSB sept. 20th. So, Im totally stoked Im going to be able to have more dedication however, it'll suck too with all that test as some of the fellas describe their sex drives.:tongue:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, yeah that should be a good bulker. I wouldnt dose the m drol to high just to avoid getting shutdown to hard early and the cycle and sludging through the rest of it.

I've been pretty distant from the whole fast food seen in the last few years, but I hear some of the bigger ones like McDee's have some better options now days. I do hit up some local joints on occasion and just pick out the protein, and dump the rest.

Image Map

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trav, I followed a 3lo/1hi protocol, and used my 1 high day to allow for leptin regulation and glycogen refeed if needed (probably more important further along in diet).

I did actually use some WMS PWO as well, I stuck with 35g.
    I also had some carbs at breakfast at well.

The other carbs were from green veggies, nuts, natty peanut butter.

As far as insulin modulation, I basically mean providing enough nutrients for the body to remain in a balanced state, and not allowing the body to over secrete insulin at the wrong times. I started with about .5g of carbs/lb on my low carb days, 1.5g protein/lb, and filled in healthy fats with the remaining calories depending on what I was alloted for the day. I also went 20% above my caloric intake for my 1 hi day as leptin levels are said to need 20%-50% more calories to aid in its regulation (this depends of course on length of refeed/carb-up). I mainly stuck with moderate glycemic carbs on this day as well. It worked quite well for me over the past 3 weeks, but I decided to change things up a bit because I just started XFactor.
    Lurking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trav, I followed a 3lo/1hi protocol, and used my 1 high day to allow for leptin regulation and glycogen refeed if needed (probably more important further along in diet).

I did actually use some WMS PWO as well, I stuck with 35g.
    I also had some carbs at breakfast at well.

The other carbs were from green veggies, nuts, natty peanut butter.

As far as insulin modulation, I basically mean providing enough nutrients for the body to remain in a balanced state, and not allowing the body to over secrete insulin at the wrong times. I started with about .5g of carbs/lb on my low carb days, 1.5g protein/lb, and filled in healthy fats with the remaining calories depending on what I was alloted for the day. I also went 20% above my caloric intake for my 1 hi day as leptin levels are said to need 20%-50% more calories to aid in its regulation (this depends of course on length of refeed/carb-up). I mainly stuck with moderate glycemic carbs on this day as well. It worked quite well for me over the past 3 weeks, but I decided to change things up a bit because I just started XFactor.
    Interesting, I've never really done the carb cycle approach however I see its benefits. In the past bulks have always been about getting as many cals as possible which often resulted in messy (fat) results.

I'll have to hit you up some time on what type of training you overlapped with the 3lo/1hi protocol as I would think it matters.

I need to read more on leptin...

Image Map

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trav check pm's
    Lurking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NateWA View Post
    I like a lot of palumbos suggestions but I find I really cant build mass at all without carbs cause my body just ends up eating a lot of muscle. He says that you can build mass without them but Other than that part I agree with most of what he says
    I haven't had problems building mass without carbs; my "normal" diet consists of approx 40g carbs per day not including fiber.
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative

WARNING: I tend to speak my mind and will verbally assault you if you are a tool. My words do not necessarily represent the official opinion of E-Pharm, but most likely, they do.

When you're tired and you're hungry and you want something cool, you know I got something better than a simming pool
    -Tom Waits

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beejis60 View Post
    I haven't had problems building mass without carbs; my "normal" diet consists of approx 40g carbs per day not including fiber.
    Everyone responds different to carbs. I noticed that with higher fats, I have stomach irritation and diarrhea (lil too honest, but true) and with higher carbs I fill out, but my stomach smoothes over as well. I am slowly finding a happy medium between high protein/mod carbs/mod fats, probably a 40/35/25 ratio or 40/30/30 <- P/C/F
    Lurking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you have a cheat meal each week. What does that entail? Is it a complex carb meal or like the day of the show burger and fries?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olympiabound2011 View Post
    So you have a cheat meal each week. What does that entail? Is it a complex carb meal or like the day of the show burger and fries?
    It really doesnt matter. Burger and fries would be fine. He really doesnt have a lot of restrictions on it from what I remember.

Image Map

lin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Where can I find this diet tailoured for females?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got all the info over the weekend and was seriously thinking about starting this.

Certified Personal Trainer
    Training and Nutrition at
    www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

**Team P/RR/S** Ask me about PRRS training[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Low to moderate carbs all the time. Makes me feel much better than when my diet is carb ladened. The only exception is when I was doing sports and practicing or playing multiple times a week. Even just training hard and playing some pickup games of basketball a few days a week. Then I need my carbs to increase of normal or performance is effected.

I will say that not eating carbs during a bulk will make it much tougher but not impossible. I would rather keep carbs in my diet but at a moderate level and all 100% whole wheat.
    Purus Labs Rep:

Grambo@cyber-rights.biz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grambo View Post
    I like Low to moderate carbs all the time. Makes me feel much better than when my diet is carb ladened. The only exception is when I was doing sports and practicing or playing multiple times a week. Even just training hard and playing some pickup games of basketball a few days a week. Then I need my carbs to increase of normal or performance is effected.

I will say that not eating carbs during a bulk will make it much tougher but not impossible. I would rather keep carbs in my diet but at a moderate level and all 100% whole wheat.
    I'd opt for low glycemic, not all 100% whole wheat, as some do have food allergies to wheat, but if you've done it before I'd assume you don't have that issue.

Carb laden diets can be an issue for a lot of people, but you are on the right track increasing the carbs for sports as your body tends to store more glycogen during endurance type activities.
    Lurking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd opt for l[B]ow glycemic, not all 100% whole wheat,[/B] as some do have food allergies to wheat, but if you've done it before I'd assume you don't have that issue.

Carb laden diets can be an issue for a lot of people, but you are on the right track increasing the carbs for sports as your body tends to store more glycogen during endurance type activities.
    You are right I meant Low GI vs what I wrote Good catch.
    Purus Labs Rep:

Grambo@cyber-rights.biz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lin View Post
    Where can I find this diet tailoured for females?
    Thanks
    Rxmuscle.com you can ask the man himself there.
    Dream Big

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the info bro, im was actually thinking about going ketogenic to cut my bf down..
    "Failure is not an option. Everyone has to succeed" - Arnold

"There comes a time in mans life where, if there are no windows or doors, he must walk through a wall."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default [Forum Game]Three word story

Im bored) lets play three word story =)

Three word story is a game in which a story is built by multiple people, who use three words each turn. It is a common favorite of forum gamers, since it is easy to explain and play in a linear, structured fashion. An example game goes as follows:
    * A fat man...
    * ... walked into a...
    * ... car and it...
    * ... was very painful...
    * ... but he jumped...
    * ... back up and...
    * ... dug a really...
    * ... small cave that...
    * ... had two red...
    * ... cats coming out...
    * ... from some smoke...
    * ... though a blue...