User Tag List

Thread: Best protein powder/weight gainer for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best protein powder/weight gainer for me

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum, sense i don't think you would consider protein powders a supplement, but this seems to fit it best. Ok, back story about 8 months ago i tore my pectoral benching, so I was off working out for a while and being a hard gainer I lost about 30 pounds. Now its all healed up and Ive been working out about 45 days now, Im about at the end of what I got left protein wise and I figure I would ask on here because frankly I'm a little confused.
    Ok, I don't do your normal work out routine because Im a little gunshy after tearing my pectoral. I've actually been on the p90x routine which is basiclly a lot of Calisthenics and pull ups. Seems to be working really well suprisingly. I've been taking "nu-tek mass complex" which is a weight gainer, looks like a blend of isolate and concentrate. Ive started to notice a little of a gut and I'm not that happy about that. But my arms and shoulders dont seem to be progressing at the speed I would hope either. So here comes my question, if i were to switch over to an isolate whey gold standard, elite.. etc would that hender the weight gain, I'm getting to the extreme? From what I read whey isolate seems to be the best whey, but it also seems to be very low on both protein and absolutely no calories. Whey concentrate seems to be the opposite but it also seems to cause excessive bloat and well an large increase of fat aswell.
    So I'm so confused lol. So what im looking for is someone to tell me what to do and ill do that and just take them at the word because I've spent the last 3 days researching this and even though I've learned a lot.... I really dont have any type of answer lol.
    Appreciate whoever bothers to read all that. I talked a lot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, all protein powders have calories. Protein has 4cals per gram. Each serving of most powders usually gives you about 20gm protein, which is 80calories. You should be moving away from weight gainers and onto protein powders.

I agree that whey concentrate is itself lower quality and can cause indigestion and bloat(its just a question of purity). Whey isolate is the purest but it can be quite costly and recent science suggests that its best to ingest a blend of proteins - whey, milk, egg etc. for best performance.

Read my review below of Lipotropic protein:
    LG Lipotropic Protein - Vanilla

There's quite a bit of info in there. Its a blend of pea protein, whey, micellar casein(best), and egg. No other powder gives you a wider variety. It also contains fat burning polyphenols(similar to green tea).

I'd give the newest flavor a shot...chocolate peanut butter.
    LG Sciences Lipotropic Protein - Aspartame Free
    Last edited by steam; 05-21-2010 at 03:19 AM.
    $10 off @ Vitacost/iHerb
    ~https://www.vitacostrewards.com/jdHdges | http://www.iherb.com?rcode=RGT940 ~

yes and no, on principle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can pick up some of our protein: Americanpurewhey.com 10lbs (add two 5lbers to your basket) for $55 shipped. Use the code "TENLBDEAL" at checkout.

Protein is most definitely a supplement, and an essential one for anyone serious. Protein will not hinder your weight gain. Most people choose concentrate just for cost purposes. If you're serious about gaining weight, try a weight gainer shake, but be careful to not use it as a crutch. You can drink all the protein in the world, but you still gotta eat.
    Hello.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

loved the taste of American Wheys tropical banana bomb or whatever it was called. MAP by PP is a good protein....not so much of a weight gainer tho unless you added something to it. Tastes kinda funky too but all in all good product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Choose something with both fast and slow-digesting proteins, such as a whey and casein blend. Examples I like are Dymatize Elite Gourmet & Syntha 6. Studies in peer-reviewed journals have shown increased muscle growth when using a blend instead of whey or casein alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I use 99% of the time..

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 1 Scoop
    Servings per Container: 77
    Calories 117
    Calories from Fat 14
    Total Fat 2 g 3%
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3%
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 39 mg 12%
    Sodium 75 mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrate 2 g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugars 0 g
    Protein 24 g
    Proprietary Enzyme Blend Zytrix®, Protease, Lactase, Lipase 40 mg *
    Vitamin A 0 0%
    Vitamin C 0 0%
    Calcium 0 18%
    Iron 0 2%

I also add DGC to my shake..

1029 Grams

Serving Size49Grams(1 Scoop)
    Servings Per Container21

Each Serving Of DGC™ Contains: % DV

Calories 185

Calories From Fat 0g
    Total Fat 0g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g *
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrates 46g 15%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 46g *
    Protein 0g 0%
    Vitamin C (As Ascorbic Acid) 60mg 100%
    Thiamin (As Thiamin Mononitrate) 1mg 67%
    Riboflavin 1mg 59%
    Niacin (As Niacinamide) 5mg 25%
    Vitamin B6 (As Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 1mg 50%
    Vitamin B12 (As Cyanocobalamin) 1mcg 17%
    Biotin 10mcg 3%
    Pantothenic Acid (As D-Calcium Pantothenate) 3mg 30%
    Calcium (As Calcium Carbonate) 100mg 10%
    Phosphorus (As Monosodium & Monopotassium Phosphate) 60mg 6%
    Magnesium (As Magnesium Oxide) 150mg 38%
    Sodium (As Sodium Chloride & Monosodium Phosphate) 70mg 3%
    Potassium (As Monopotassium Phosphate) 45mg 1%

Some times when I feel the need for more Calories.. I'll mix that and these 50/50, but I don't add DGC when I mix them.

Nutrition Facts:
    Serving Size (g) 154g
    Servings Per 21
    Calories 630
    Fat Calories 80
    Total Fat (g) 8.5
    Sat. Fat (g) 1
    Cholesterol (mg) 20
    Sodium (mg) 550
    Potassium (mg) 970
    Total Carbs (g) 103
    Dietary Fiber (g) 1
    Sugars (g) 45
    Proteins (g) 35

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I like ON 100% Whey

Personally I like Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. Works really good for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're looking for the best experience with eating, I'd recommend Nature's Best Zero Carb Isopure. It tastes amazing, mixes great, has tons of vitamins/minerals, and goes down easy without bloat.

You probably can get it for ~35-40$ for 3 pounds, which isn't cheap, but it's a treat.

They also make a weight gainer Isopure. You might want to look at that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dangers of calcium carbonate & (hidden sugar)

If the members of the world of body building don't start educating themselves they are in for some very serious health problems.....Remember boys and girls....it doesn't matter how GOOD you look on the outside....It'sall about INTERNAL PHYSIOLOGICAL health that matters!!!!.....The incidence of kidney stones is on the rise and can be attributed to CALCIUM CARBONATE....Just look at how many protein powders and other supplements contain this harmful version of Ca+......By the way....the other name for Calcium Carbonate is CHALK!!!!....That's right....blackboard chalk....Leading internal medicine physicians who treat kidney stones usually ask:...Do you exercise frequently?...Their next question: DO you use Protein Powders?.....The calcium carbonate intake is off the charts and when one considers the physical demands on the upper lumbar and lower thoracic regions endure because of body building demands...Well.....That's strike 2!!!!!....Wise up. get smart and run away from ANY and ALL products that contain Calcium Carbonate....AND ONE MORE THING.....Google" The Harmful Effects of Sugar".......If you do, you will find the #1 effect is an negative effect on Immunity caused by the increase of sugar in ALL forms.....Protein powders do NOT occur naturally in nature and with all their HIDDEN sugars.....Personally, I rather WISE UP than BULK UP!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using Nature's Best Ispoure (100% whey protein isolate) for years now and find it to be a great, quality, clean product. It's a tad on the pricey side, but then again, you get what you pay for. I try to avoid protein powders chock full of fillers, additives, and sugars. I won't name brands, but I will say that 99% of the products out there are infested with garbage fillers.

NutraBio is a pretty clean company that sells their products at wholesale prices and in bulk, so you get a lot more bang for your buck. The disadvantage with the "clean" products is the taste takes some getting used to, but they're simply better for you.

As far as weight gainers are concerned, I've taken NutraBio's Extreme Mass 600, BSN's True Mass (didn't like it, don't like BSN products at all); and most recently, Mass Peak by Inner Armour, which so far I have found to be a pretty decent weight-gainer (though pricey $$$).

Mass Peak, if taken with whole milk (which is how I take it), will give you 963 cals (207 of which are from fat); 23g of fat, 877mg Calcium, 978mg Potassium, 124g Carb, 29g Sugars (because of the milk) and 66g Protein. You'll definitely pack on some weight with this stuff if you take a couple shakes per day and of course follow a solid food diet. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please die. Now. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by backtobasics View Post
    If the members of the world of body building don't start educating themselves they are in for some very serious health problems.....Remember boys and girls....it doesn't matter how GOOD you look on the outside....It'sall about INTERNAL PHYSIOLOGICAL health that matters!!!!.....The incidence of kidney stones is on the rise and can be attributed to CALCIUM CARBONATE....Just look at how many protein powders and other supplements contain this harmful version of Ca+......By the way....the other name for Calcium Carbonate is CHALK!!!!....That's right....blackboard chalk....Leading internal medicine physicians who treat kidney stones usually ask:...Do you exercise frequently?...Their next question: DO you use Protein Powders?.....The calcium carbonate intake is off the charts and when one considers the physical demands on the upper lumbar and lower thoracic regions endure because of body building demands...Well.....That's strike 2!!!!!....Wise up. get smart and run away from ANY and ALL products that contain Calcium Carbonate....AND ONE MORE THING.....Google" The Harmful Effects of Sugar".......If you do, you will find the #1 effect is an negative effect on Immunity caused by the increase of sugar in ALL forms.....Protein powders do NOT occur naturally in nature and with all their HIDDEN sugars.....Personally, I rather WISE UP than BULK UP!!!!!!!!

LinkBacks (?)